Yes, I hear your messages to return to blogging (this post by Christine Mason Miller and this blog-a-thon). It took me a moment this morning, a flash of fear, to even remember how to log onto this blog. I freaked when I saw that my last post was the end of August. Oh. My. Gosh. I let my ego get in the way when it felt like not enough people or the right people were even reading this thing. When will I ever learn not to take things personally, to just write for the sheer joy of writing, to write for myself?
Then we/I get out of the habit of doing something good for us and it's so very hard to get back into the saddle. And then we get busy, for me it's been teaching a couple of classes that have challenged me in more ways than I can explain here and the busyness of autumn events. Add in the expectations the web gives us to make blogposts meaningful and interesting with gorgeous pictures and beautiful words. I can't even remember the last time I took a picture with my big girl camera. I do continue to take pics with my iPhone and share here.
First, a recent selfie...
- What are you reading? I just finished Jeanette Winterson's memoir, Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?
- What are you watching? Lately, The Blacklist (I hate the violence but love James Spader), Scandal (it's getting a bit too weird for me but it's something my hubby and I watch together), Hostages (I love the twists and turns and drooling over Dylan McDermott), and finally Parenthood (makes me cry, every. single. time.).
- What are you listening to? At this very moment, a Christmas CD.
- What are you loving? snuggling with my boy and my star-shaped twinkle lights hanging across the curtains in the living room
- What are you wearing? what I wore to bed last night, comfy and warm
- What are you creating? I think I just my play with paints some time today
- What are you looking forward to?
Colors (crap, I don't remember how to change the colors on this thing)
[ RED ]
- What's the first thing you think of when you think of red? love and passion, who doesn't?
- Closest red thing to you? pair of scissors with a red handle
- What is the last thing that made you angry? students who don't do what they are supposed to
- Are you a fan of romance? yes, yes, yes!
- Do you have a temper? Of course we all do, that is, we all get angry but I think the people that know me the best would say that it takes a lot for me to express my anger. My anger tends to show up more as irritability.
[ GREEN ]
- What's the first thing you think of when you think of green? grass, growth
- Closest green thing to you? a pen shaped like a flower so the stem is green
- What's your favourite green environment? If this means nature, then I don't have a favorite. Any.
- Are you jealous of anyone right now? Yes, I think part of being aware of other creatives in the on-line world it's hard not to be jealous. Not so much of the things they have but the life they are living.
- Are you a lucky person? sometimes yes, sometimes no
[ PURPLE ]
- What's the first thing you think of when you think of purple? Bliss. Purple is my favorite color. It makes me very happy.
- Closest purple thing to you? My cell phone case is purple with a design by Jessica Swift. I don't see it for sale anymore, but her designs are so fun.
- Do you like being treated like royalty? Probably not. Just want to be treated with respect and kindness.
- Do you like mysterious things? Only if they aren't scary. I scare easily.
- Are you intuitive? I think so. I'm a strong N on the Myers-Briggs.
[ BLUE ]
- What's the first thing you think of when you think of blue? sky
- Closest blue thing to you? The blue in a painting I did of a sailboat. Water.
- Are you good at calming people down? I'm a counselor. What do you think?
- What's your favourite body of water (i.e. lake, ocean, etc)? Ocean, for sure. Then I think of a whirlpool bath, hot tub, or swimming pool. Nope, ocean.
- What was the last thing that made you cry? It was probably something I saw on TV. Ever since I gave birth 14 years ago I cry easily when something touches my heart.
- Are you a logical thinker? As opposed to an illogical thinker?
[ YELLOW ]
- What's the first thing you think of when you think of yellow? sun (think I have a theme going here)
- Closest yellow thing to you? a candle flame
- What was one of the happiest times of your life? the last couple of years of college were a lot of fun but also stressful
- What's your favourite holiday? Easter
- What makes you happy? beauty in all its forms
[ PINK ]
- What's the first thing you think of when you think of pink? bubblegum
- Closest pink thing to you? the shirt I have on
- What sweet things do you like? I have a sweet tooth so just about anything as long as it doesn't have coconut or black licorice.
- Are you sensitive? Yes, to a fault.
- What is your favourite flower? I love white flowers. I especially like lily of the valley.
- Does you have a crush on someone? If a crush can mean people I admire, then yes.
[ ORANGE ]
- What's the first thing you think of when you think of orange? food
- Closest orange thing to you? I'm surrounded by art. There is orange in this print by Lori Portka.
- Do you dress up for Halloween? Yes. This is last Halloween.
- What gives you the warm fuzzes? hugs
- What would your superpower be? sensitivity, intuition, and creativity
[ BROWN ]
- What's the first thing you think of when you think of brown? honestly, the first thing that came to mind was poop. oops
- Closest brown thing to you? an old, computer desk I'm writing this on
- What is your favourite type of chocolate? mint
- What makes you feel grounded? focusing on my breath, yoga
- Paint the wood or always leave it au natural? natural
[ WHITE ]
- What's the first thing you think of when you think of white? clouds
- Closest white thing to you? a candle
- Do you always try to keep the peace? not always, but I like peace
- Do you like to play in the snow? definitely, as long as I'm dressed warmly
- Are you afraid of going to the doctors or dentist? no, but I detest and waiting around
[ BLACK ]
- What's the first thing you think of when you think of black? night
- Closest black thing to you? the black in the frames of the artwork above me
- Are you sophisticated or silly? both, neither, I don't know
- Do you have a lot of secrets? some, I guess
- What's the new black? ?
It is cold and icy. 28 degrees F at 11:30 central time. Here's a pic I took this morning.
10 Things About Me
- I have a love/hate relationship with prompts like this. As a counselor and professor I like to ask this kind of question. I like the challenge of trying to come up with 10 unique things, but I know it can be hard to know what to share.
- I have lived in Iowa, Utah, Indiana, Texas, and now, Kentucky.
- I don't like seafood. I really wish I did. Something about the smell and texture.
- I didn't like to read as a kid. I really only started to like to read a lot about 10 years ago.
- I have attended 5 colleges: Valparaiso University, Texas Christian University, St. Mary's University, Iowa State University, and the University of North Texas.
- When I was little I pictured myself having 2 boys and 2 girls and they would hold hands and be dressed in their Sunday best and be so very cute. Oh, reality. I am grateful for just having the 2 I have.
- When I was little and would play house my children's names were Matthew Jacob and one I made up called Barthessa. Eww!
- I have travelled very little outside the U.S. I'd really like to change that.
- I have never been that into cars and don't care so much what I drive as long as it works. And then I was blessed with a little boy who is obsessed with them.
- I wish I had enough money to quit my job, do lots of volunteer work, visit friends and family all over the U.S., read and read and read and write and write and write. And then I'd probably want a job again.
My First Blogpost
Posted on September 1, 2010. You can see it here.
Why am I doing this…
Mainly for myself for so many reasons:
To practice the importance of play. It’s what I preach (teach).
To practice writing. I’d love to write a book someday.
To practice photography. I have always loved photos.
To practice creativity. Being creative is what makes us human.
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!? Nah, I know this blog will be far from perfect and I am SO okay with that.
To express myself. I’ve got many years of being a shy, quiet kid to make up for.
To connect with others.
To inspire others. ‘Cuz it sure feels good!
One Sentence Saturday
Today is… starting out nothing like I had planned, and I kinda like it that way.